Online learning programs at the UH Cullen College of Engineering aren't your standard online courses. The flexible and innovative digital programs in engineering include live videos of lectures, interactive web-based discussions and opportunities for one-on-one learning experiences.
Most importantly, the degrees earned through the Cullen College’s online programs are exactly the same degrees earned by students who choose to attend classes on campus. The online courses are simply digital versions of the in-person courses — the programs have the exact same rigor, expectations and admissions processes.
Why UH Engineering?
The University of Houston’s Cullen College of Engineering, located in the energy capital of the world, is one of the nation’s premiere destinations for engineering research and education. Ranked among the Top 100 best engineering colleges in the country by U.S. News and World Report, the Cullen College is home to some of the world’s most prominent engineering researchers, centers and laboratories, and cutting-edge research collaborations.
The University of Houston’s Cullen College of Engineering attracts not only the best and brightest students, but also the most diverse, spirited and entrepreneurial engineers in the world. The Cullen College is integrated into the DNA of the city of Houston, and UH Engineering students benefit from the vast array of internship and professional opportunities at companies and firms across the region. Moreover, a network of more than 20,000 UH Engineering alumni, many holding leadership positions across the Houston region and beyond, actively recruit UH Engineering students for professional positions.
Online Programs at UH
All of our online engineering programs are specifically designed for working engineers, offering the same rigor of face-to-face classes with the added flexibility of learning whenever and wherever you choose! Online and in-person classes are exactly the same, and online students earn the exact same degree as on-campus students.
Virtual Learning Methods
As a UH Engineering student enrolled in an online program, you will be taking the same classes as on-campus students but in an online environment. Our online classes are offered in one of the following formats:
- Synchronous, HyFlex Mode: In this mode of instruction, the instructor will deliver live lectures at designated class times using either Zoom or Microsoft Teams. The lectures are video-streamed live, and online students who choose to connect in real time via the internet can participate in live class discussions. All lecture videos are also recorded and are posted to the course website within hours after the live class has concluded. This way, the lectures are posted online for all students to view. Instructors provide the material, lectures, tests and assignments that can be accessed online at any time. The online lectures are not time restricted, meaning you are free to access them any time, any place, during the semester. In addition to the regularly scheduled live classes, instructors also hold weekly, live, one-on-one, online office hours using Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
- Asynchronous Mode: This is the traditional “on-demand” format of delivering online courses, where the instructor posts all the course content, including lecture videos, reading materials and assignments, on the course web site. Many of the lecture videos are recorded in the “Mediasite” equipped recording studio classrooms in the Cullen College of Engineering. Even though this is an asynchronous mode of instruction, our instructors also hold weekly, live, one-on-one, online office hours using Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
At this time, about 75% of our online courses in any semester are taught in the synchronous HyFlex mode, and the rest in the asynchronous format.
We are proud to note that all of UH Engineering’s online classes are taught by the same outstanding faculty who teach in our on-campus programs, and for the larger course sections additional teaching assistants will provide further resources for the students. Our expectation from online students is that you will view course lectures and content online regularly to keep current with homework assignments, quizzes and exams. And as described above, our professors take great care to promote interactivity with students in our online classes — these are in the form of live office hours using web-based video conferencing, and active monitoring of the discussion board on the course web site. Our faculty are also available by telephone and e-mail for additional one-on-one meetings.
Completing Your Online Engineering Degree
Depending on their other work and personal time commitments, our UH Engineering students complete their online degree or certificate programs anywhere between one and three years. However, there is no time limit on completing your online degree. UH Engineering’s online programs are geared toward working professionals, providing the flexibility to complete your degree on your own schedule.
What Degrees Are Offered Through Online Programs — UH Extend?
12 Master’s degree programs and 8 graduate-level certificate programs are available through Online Programs — UH Extend. Undergraduate degree programs are not offered at this time.
Graduate Degree Programs:
- Online MS in Biomedical Engineering
- Online Master of Chemical Engineering
- Online MS in Civil Engineering
- Online Master of Computer and Systems Engineering
- Online MS in Electrical Engineering
- Online MS in Engineering Management
- Online MS in Industrial Engineering
- Online Master of Mechanical Engineering
- Online MS in Mechanical Engineering
- Online MS in Petroleum Engineering
- Online MS in Subsea Engineering
Graduate Certificate Programs:
- Online Certificate in Fundamentals of Petroleum Engineering
- Online Certificate in Global Climate, Energy and Environment
- Online Certificate in Power Electronics and Renewable Energy
- Online Certificate in Power Systems and Smart Grid
- Online Certificate in Process Safety Engineering
- Online Certificate in Subsea Engineering
- Online Certificate in Advanced Subsea Engineering
- Online Certificate in Unconventional Energy Sources